Dental bone grafting is the practice performed to substitute bone hurt in the jawline that anchors teeth utilizing one or various bone grafting options. Oral maxillofacial surgeries or dental surgeries require bone development in the upper part of the jaw like a ridge augmentation or sinus augmentation. If the patient is missing bone or teeth in the upper jaw, the dentist would suggest bone graft as it helps in stimulating the bone development that is required to prepare for dental implants and reshape the jaw. These implants are utilized to substitute missing teeth. If your dentist has suggested and dental bone grafting, you need to visit Hamilton Mountain Dental to get a second opinion. Besides, we have also explained more here about the dental bone grafting that would help you in getting some clear idea.
Why do I require a bone augmentation or bone graft?
We have shared some questions you should clarify with your dentist before starting the procedure.
- What are the possible complications?
- Is autograft replacement – a suitable option for me?
- What are the kinds of bone graft materials?
- Will there be differences in possible side effects, safety, and effectiveness among the various materials and
suggested bone grafting procedure?
The dentist has to clearly explain the side effects, treatment time and location, and other important details.
- Why are you recommending a bone augmentation procedure for me?
- Is there a substitute method that could be performed?
- What are the positives and negatives of dental surgery?
- Will it be performed in the hospital or clinic?
- What happens during the surgery?
- Where will the incision be made and how large it will be?
- Who performs the bone augmentation procedure?
- What kind of dental professionals is a part of this treatment?
If the dentist is suggesting medication, you need to clarify your doubts by asking questions such as:
- Do the medications cause any side effects?
- How many days are these medications recommended?
If the patient is taking supplements or vitamins currently, then he/she has to show the list of medications along with the dosage before the procedure. They should ask the dentist whether they cause any side effects to the treatment. Also, the patient should check whether the new medications interact with the medicines they are already consuming.
Course of treatment:
- What is the entire treatment plan?
- What are my options?
- Do I need to do any lifestyle changes after the treatment?
- Do I need to consult any other physicians?
- When can I resume normal activities or return to work?
- How often should I meet you after dental surgery?
Enquire about the success rate of dental bone grafting procedure!
Dental bone grafting is a very successful procedure as it is utilizing for placing dental implants. In very rare cases of bone augmentation or bone graft procedure, it will not be completely performed as expected. Though the bone of the patient is utilized, bone augmentation will be rejected as the organ transplant gets rejected. If the patient has medical conditions like cigarette smoking, there are high chances of failure of bone augmentation.